Over the weekend we went strawberry picking. I wrote all about the actual picking experience itself here, if you’re interested. Then we arrived home with a flat and a rubbermaid container and another random container FULL of strawberries. And then I said holy sheet, what WILL we do with all these strawberries??
So here is what we did.
1. Strawberry Freezer Jam We made two batches of this stuff…used a boat load of sugar and two boxes of pectin and did some smooshing and stirring and that was about that. Very easy. The resulting jam is extremely sweet, and tastes good atop toast, etc. etc.
Freezer jam mixture before being poured into containers…
2. Strawberry Ice Cream On Friday, a very fabulous co-worker of Pat’s just up and GAVE him a brand new Cuisinart ice cream maker!! Apparently she had received two as a wedding gift or something. Anyhoo, Pat gladly accepted it, and it arrived in our home just in time to mix up a couple batches of fresh strawberry ice cream. Sooooooooo good. Look at the color of this stuff! It’s all pure and natural strawberry juice making up the color and flavor of this yummy ice cream. No Red #7 or fake strawberry flavoring in this bowl of goodness!
3. Strawberry French Toast Loaf of artisan bread from Turtle Bread; and then Pat concocted a delicious egg mix with some cinnamon and nutmeg, and then we topped it all with strawberries and maple syrup. It was quite the union of flavors! Served with a side of bacon.
(the child’s version)
4. Strawberrie Pie I have always loved strawberry pie so I just had to make one. I did a quick google search for a recipe and found this one from Cooks.com. I liked the sound of it because of the cream cheese layer over the crust. Taste testers?? Add your two cents- what did you think of the pie?? I thought it was really quite tasty, myself.
6. Frozen Whole Strawberries We’ll see how these hold up over time in the freezer. Pat put them on wax paper atop cookie sheets, stuck them in the refrigerator for an hour, and then in the freezer to freeze. Once frozen, we took them off of the cookie sheets and put them into quart-sized freezer bags.
7. Fresh Strawberries We ate a lot of fresh strawberries. So many that, by the third day, Ryan turned up his nose at anything strawberry. Fresh is best though- they were really good.