I’m hosting Thanksgiving for my family this year. There will be 15 of us. For those of you that have been to my house, you know what a feat this will be. For those of you that haven’t been, let me fill you in. I have no dining room, I have one bathroom, and all rooms are small. Though, all the rooms are cute!
I love hosting people at our home and I love cooking for crowds. However, I must say, I’m stressed. This will be the first time I’ve hosted a large holiday which for some reason has me even more wigged out. I don’t think I’ve admitted out loud how wigged out I am. So I’m doing it on the blog.
Here is what is keeping me up at night:
- How will I fit 15 people? I’d like for them to all be sitting together. Should I tell them to wear parkas and we’ll eat outside?
- This will be my first time cooking a large bird. What if I make some elementary mistake and it looks like the turkey from National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation?
- I am not making my grandmother’s stuffing recipe because…..I don’t like it (sorry grandma!). I’m trying something new. Will my family forgive me?
- Is a Wii bowling tournament a good idea? I think so, but will others think it’s lame?
- Where should I set up beverages where people are not trouncing through the kitchen?
- Is there one kind of beer everyone likes or do I need multiple? I like to keep the brothers happy.
- Do people care about lumps in the mashed potatoes?
- What if there is a giant snow storm and I’m stuck at home with a 20-lb turkey?
- With that many people in the house, do I need to turn on the AC?
Okay, I feel better now that I have that off my chest. It was really good therapy. I realize after reading these, some of them are a little ridiculous. This is my family after all, they have to like me.
For you Thanksgiving pros out there, I would love to hear any thoughts/comments suggestion/tips!