I love oatmeal.
Really love it.
I eat it for breakfast 98% of the time.
It’s good for you, it’s easy, I can make it at my office, it’s filling…..and it’s delicious.
At this time of year where single digit and sub zero temperatures are the norm, I love it even more. It’s so comforting and homey – perfect for a cold day or night. I could easily eat oatmeal for any meal of the day. It’s just that good.
I’m not talking about the pre-flavored with all sorts of god-knows-what pre-packaged kind. I’m talking straight oats mixed with all sorts of goodness. Over the years, I’ve created a lot of different mix-ins for my oatmeal that give me all sorts of options each morning.
I usually start with 1/3 – 1/2 cup dry oats and double that amount of water. It can be done on the stove top or in the microwave. When I’m at work, I will usually stick to that and top it with some cinnamon, honey and plain yogurt. That is my stand-by. However, sometimes I like to mix it up a bit.
If I’m feeling like I need some added protein (for all the iron I’m pumping), I will throw in an egg white or 2 in the oatmeal while it cooks. It makes my muscles feel important. Thanks to my pal, L, out east for sharing that tip!
Here are some of my favorite mix-ins:
- 1/4-1/2 cup canned pumpkin (I mix this in halfway through the microwave process), cinnamon, agave or maple syrup and a little yogurt. Fall in a bowl. If I have them, pomegranate seeds are a nice addition to this version.
- Frozen mixed berries (halfway through the process), yogurt.
- Any fresh seasonal fruit with yogurt or milk
- A granola sprinkle – for a little crunch
- Any type of homemade jam – I have a massive amount of strawberry freezer jam at the moment
- Cocoa powder, egg white, peanut butter, yogurt and a bit of agave – sprinkle of grape-nut type cereal (pictured below). It’s almost too good.
Do I have any fellow oatmeal lovers out there? How do you like to prepare it? Any combonations I should try? If you don’t like oatmeal, is there another thing you eat almost every day? Please tell me I’m not alone…..