I’ve been married for 8 years. 8 years! How is that possible?
Brette and I celebrated our anniversary this week. We are celebrating more than once actually. On the actual day, we enjoyed dinner at Al Vento, our favorite neighborhood spot.
And finally, we are going to celebrate with a lovely night and dinner in Vegas at the front end of a work trip I am going on. 8 years is a lot to celebrate. We made it through the 7 year itch. It’s smooth sailing now, right?
I thought it would be fun to write about what I remember about that day. These are random thoughts and in no particular order.
- It was cold. That happens when you get married in January….in Minnesota.
- My hairdresser from Minneapolis made the trek to Mankato to do my hair and the hair of all my bridesmaids.
- My sister put on my deodorant. That’s what sisters are for.
- All three of my sisters, plus my niece, were my personal attendants. They thanked me for not making them buy a bridesmaid dress.
- My flowers were red roses. They are my absolute favorite.
- Brette’s hair was super short thanks to a miscommunication with his hair dresser. The story was told at the reception.
- We made a mistake on our wedding program. My brother was listed as the Bother of the Bride. Hysterical.
- We had a soloist sing “Love can Build a Bridge” by the Judds. Pretty sure I cried.
- Our first song was “Amazed” by Lonestar.
- I used to hate country music until I met Brette.
- There was a snafu with the candles we bought for the tables. They were too big and Anne’s husband, Pat, came to the rescue. He knows his tea lights.
- I still have leftover candles. We think we’ll have them all used by our 10 year.
- The hotel served the wrong salad. I didn’t notice. My mom did. She got a refund.
- My mom specifically wanted a salad with ranch dressing because Brette likes ranch dressing.
- I had carrot cake and it was delicious. Carrot cake is my favorite.
- The wedding cake itself was hideous. The only downer of the day. We moved it so people couldn’t see it.
- When we got to our hotel room, there were extra pieces of cake waiting for us. We devoured them.
- Our dance ruled and I was a hot mess by the end of the night. Awesome.
- I would pick my same dress all over again. It was off-white, had spaghetti straps and I loved it.
- Said dress is now in a sealed box. What does one do with that?
- One of our ushers will always be known as “the drunk usher”.
- We had room for 220 people at the reception. We invited more than 300. 218 attended. No sweat.
- Our photographer learned he needed new glasses after our wedding. Yeah, there are some blurry photos.
- It was the best day of my life. Marrying my best friend was a dream come true.
On that note, I need to get ready for the Corner Table.
Thanks for indulging me. It’s funny the things I remember. Next week, I’ll probably think of a million other things.
I probably should have included some wedding photos in this post. However, none of our wedding photos were digital and we have not scanned any of them. So…today you get more recent photos of us. 8 years ago we looked….younger.