I like to freeze things. Most of the time I need to freeze things. I like to cook and I often make more than Brette and I can handle in any given week. So, I freeze things.
This comes in handy on nights where I don’t have time to cook or weeks where I need some easy lunches. Enter the freezer gods. I simply take a quart of leftover lentil soup (or something equally yummy) out of the freezer, defrost and enjoy.
This week I took some leftover vegetable curry out for dinner. All I had to do was make some rice and I had a complete meal. As I was fishing for the curry, I realized I had some unidentifiables in my freezer. This led to taking a seat on the floor (I have a bottom freezer – world’s best invention), taking everything out of the freezer, reorganizing and moving a lot of it to our chest freezer in the basement. 20 minutes later my freezer looked much better. Let’s not talk about the chest freezer in the basement.
What did I find that I had no idea I had and/or what it was?
- 3 year old pheasants – those went in the trash
- 2 small containers of a white substance – after defrosting, I realized it was egg whites. Those went into the next day’s oatmeal.
- 1 small container oven roasted tomatoes. I thought I was out of those so that was a major bonus.
- approximately 23 ripe bananas – I see baked goods in my future
- wild turkey breasts from by my father-in-law – anyone ever cooked those before? I need some ideas.
- 15 containers of homemade pesto – why have I not been using it? Urg.
- breakfast sausage so old it didn’t look like breakfast sausage anymore – trash
Tell me I’m not the only one this happens to. Please?
What have you found in your freezer that was interesting? Do you have a meal that freezes beautifully (Steel Magnolias anyone?)? Please share one or the other or both so I know I’m not the only one who is freezer obsessed.